Top 5 Benefits Of Maca Root
Maca root has been used for its medicinal properties for thousands of years but it is not until now that people are using it as a natural remedy. It definitely deserves its newfound superfood status, and researchers are still finding more benefits associated with this root vegetable.
Maca is a cruciferous vegetable native to the islands of Peru and Andes. It looks like radishes and turnips with green tops and roots that range from black to yellow to purple. Its root is pleasant tasting and is available in powder form after harvesting and being ground down.
Maca is jam-packed with antioxidants and micronutrients that have been shown to improve sexual health, boost energy, mood and memory and balance hormone levels. `
Maca Root benefits
- Rich in antioxidants – antioxidants help neutralize free radicals in the body while fighting off chronic disease and preventing cell damage. Increasing antioxidants in the body can be beneficial for preventing conditions such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease by preventing oxidative stress and cell damage.
- Enhances mood, memory, and energy – People who have used maca powder say that it makes them feel revitalized and full of energy quickly after using it. As compared to caffeine which can cause a case of the jitters or shakiness, Maca gives energy while still allowing you to maintain your cool. It has also been proven to improve memory impairment in animals.
- Improves Female sexual Health – Maca has been found to boost sex drive and improve sexual dysfunction in women. It has also been shown to improve both libido and psychological symptoms in post-menopausal women. Balancing hormone levels are important for women at this age for sexual health and can help reduce symptoms like weight gain, infertility and bloating.
- Balancing Estrogen levels – Estrogen is the primary female sex hormone. It is responsible for regulating the female reproductive system. Too high or too low estrogen levels can make ovulation difficult thus preventing pregnancy. Maca has been found to balance estrogen levels as well as relieve symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes, night sweats, and increased bone density. It also decreases symptoms related to sexual health problems such as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
- Boots male fertility – It has been shown that Maca Root definitely has positive effects on women’s sexual health but what about in men? A study conducted in Peru showed that supplementing the male subject’s diet with Maca improved testosterone, sperm quality and motility, which both affect male fertility. However, further research is needed to ascertain the benefits of Maca root to male sexual health.
- Because of its growing popularity. Maca root can now be found at health stores, pharmacies or even online stores. I may be taken in liquid, capsule, powder or extract form, which are all equally beneficial. However, you should always look for a quality harvester who ensures it is 100% Maca root powder. It is also good to look for Maca root extract that is raw and organic.